Grocery Store Normal IL – Jackson’s Produce – 2329 Springfield Road – Bloomington – Call 309-827-5444
Because they bear seeds and develop from flowering plants, tomatoes are actually a fruit. However, from a nutritional standpoint, tomatoes are typically put into the vegetable category. That is partly on account of their lower sugar and carbohydrate contents. A medium-size tomato provides approximately 22 calories along with just five grams of total carbs.
But don’t let those low numbers mislead you: even though tomatoes are low in carbs and calories, they carry lots of helpful nutrients. Indeed, tomatoes offer lots of healthy benefits.
Grocery Store Normal IL
- -Tomatoes are an excellent and reliable vitamin source. Just one juicy tomato can supply approximately 40 percent of the daily suggested minimum amount of vitamin C. In addition, tomatoes supply plenty of
- -Vitamin A to help support healthy skin, vision and immunity.
- -Vitamin K. Good for strong bones.
- -Potassium. Essential for healthy heart function as well as maintaining a consistent blood pressure and balance of fluids.
- -Tomatoes are particularly helpful for your heart. Available at our Grocery Store Normal IL, tomatoes contain lycopene – an antioxidant that provides their familiar red color. Research indicates that when it comes to heart benefits, eating tomatoes is typically more effective than taking a lycopene supplement. Other research indicates that greater amounts of lycopene in the bloodstream may be related to lower mortality among people who have metabolic syndrome, which involves risk factors that can increase the odds of developing diabetes, stroke or heart diseases.
- -Supports healthy eyesight. Another benefit to consuming recommended amounts of lycopene is that it’s helpful for your vision. Tomatoes also contain beta carotene and lutein, which are nutrients that support good vision and reduce the risk of conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
Searching for a Grocery Store Normal IL with a huge selection of delicious tomatoes? Stop in at Jackson’s Produce – we’re famous for our tasty tomatoes!